When to Hold Your Ex-Spouse In Contempt of Court In Family Court

contempt-of-court-in-family-courtDivorce is full of ups and downs, often making it difficult to start your new chapter. Though in a high-conflict divorce, those ups and downs can heavily weigh on your shoulders. This is especially true if your ex-spouse hasn’t respected established divorce orders, such as alimony agreements, bringing you further hardship and stress.

In these cases, your best option is to appeal to the court to enforce those divorce orders. And if your former spouse is held in contempt for their refusal to comply, the penalties can be extreme. 


Examples of Contempt

Has your spouse been missing their child support payments? Maybe they’re simply unresponsive, or can’t seem to keep up with alimony. We’ve seen it, and we feel your pain. If you find yourself in any of these situations, it may be time to move forward with enforcement. 


Secure Your Alimony with Jennifer Owens, Mission Viejo Divorce Attorney


Starting the Enforcement Process

To find someone in contempt of court in family court, you’ll need to file an Order to Show Cause and Affidavit for Contempt. Once this legal document is submitted to the court, the recipient will then attend a hearing to determine whether they’ve acted in contempt. 

Though since the affidavit is a criminal law petition, it can bring serious penalties – even criminal charges in some cases. 


Punishment for Contempt of Court In Family Court

Breaching the terms of a child support document, spousal support agreement, or any other post-divorce court order can yield civil or criminal charges. In California, punishment for contempt of court in family court comes with a fine of up to $1,000, plus five days in prison for each breach. Furthermore, those found in contempt will either carry out up to 120 hours of community service or serve a 120-hour prison sentence for each act of contempt. The severity of the punishment increases with every following contempt conviction. 


How We Can Help

At the Law Offices of Jennifer Owens, we understand the difficulties of a non-compliant ex-spouse. To help our families move on with lighter shoulders, we guide them through every step of the enforcement process to avoid any legal hiccups. We’ll work to obtain compliance without resorting to another visit to court or we can fight on your behalf to deliver the life you deserve – all in an attempt to relieve any anxiety and hardship you harbor. 


Enforce Your Divorce Orders with The Law Offices of Jennifer Owens


Has Your Spouse Acted In Contempt? Call Us Today.

Divorce is an emotional journey to endure. On top of the bitterness and anger which often result from a formal separation, the subsequent legal battles tend to make the whole process even more painful. At the Law Offices of Jennifer Owens, we revel in the power of choice. When spouses face divorce, they’re presented with a slew of decisions with a handful of potential outcomes. Our attorneys are believers in the best possible outcome, where a former couple chooses peace over destruction, so that they can finally move on to their next chapter. We can help with that. No matter your desired path – divorce mediation, a negotiated settlement, or even litigation – The Law Offices of Jennifer Owens will achieve the best possible outcome by reaching a settlement that keeps all involved parties in mind. Visit our website to review our family law services or contact us online for a free consultation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *